Monday, December 31, 2007

Life

Alright - I've talked a little bit about what we've gone through the past year or so on this blog - but I'll recap anyway, bullet point style.
  • Depression
  • Got out of the Army
  • Jobs
  • Financial woes
  • Friendship issues
  • Some spiritual valleys (anybody know the name of a deep valley around here?)
There have been quite a few changes going on in our lives lately. We once again are moving in a new direction (well, not completely new, just new in the sense that it's been a while since we've gone in this direction). So I'm just going to go ahead and share part of an email Jon shared with some of our friends and family.
Now, a year later, Janelle and I have been brought to a point where we have no choice but to surrender our lives fully to God. I know that God has called me to a life of ministry and service to Him. Janelle and I both feel like we have been through the valley and have begun to climb out with a fresh appreciation for what it means to be loved by God. He loves us not for anything we have done or can do for Him- He just loves us.

I have a really exciting opportunity that I wanted to tell you about. As you may know, my brother-in-law Rog works with an organization called Military Community Youth Ministries (MCYM). The organization works with military chaplains to provide a youth program for Junior High and High School students on the military installations. Rog has encouraged me to pursue a job as a Community Director with MCYM. I have finished the Application Process through Youth For Christ (one of the parent organizations of MCYM). I've been invited to attend Candidate Orientation in Denver and Colorado Springs.

I am so excited to attend and hopefully figure out if this ministry is a good fit for me. Candidate Orientation is basically a ten day, two way interview. If I'm invited to join the MCYM staff, I still need to make the decision whether or not it is right for me and my family. I think that between my military service and youth ministry experience, I have a pretty solid base of experience that uniquely qualifies me for this ministry to a very special group of young people.
There you have it.

No comments: