Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Death

I know that's a depressing title for a post, but it seems appropriate.

Heath Ledger is dead.

I'm sad. I actually cried a couple of tears.

He wasn't my favorite actor. He wasn't someone that had any great impact on my life. It's not like I knew him or thought we had some "connection".

He was a son. He was a brother. He was a father. I think that's what gets to me most - I think about his daughter and my heart breaks. Whether it was an accident or not, she is going to grow up without her dad. A dad that seemed to be very vocal about how amazing and wonderful he thought his daughter was. I ache for that family.

I also hurt for them knowing that once the initial shock has worn off the world will turn and start taking a more callous outlook on his death. It will be a feeding frenzy. Autopsy reports, funerals, the first picture of his daughter after her daddy has died... I would love to be proven wrong but I don't have very high hopes.

Any death is sad, but 28 is so young.

"Matilda is adorable, and beautifully observant and wise. Michelle an I love her so much. Becoming a father exceeds all my expectations. It's the most remarkable experience I've ever had - it's marvelous." [On daughter Matilda and being a father]

"I'm not good at future planning. I don't plan at all. I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow. I don't have a day planner and I don't have a diary. I completely live in the now, not in the past, not in the future." [Heath Ledger]

No comments: